Secure early bird pricing!! Ends July 6 at 11:59pm ET
What is the Schedule?
July 27-30 from 1:30-4:30pm ET
What our customers have to say:
· Very interactive, presenter had a wide breadth of experience and excellent communication skills.
· It was clear concise, and well-organized.
· It provided wealth of information that could be easily understood even by someone else that is a very new Commissioner.
· I am a 40-year veteran of public housing administration, and I am also a C-PHM and NCC certificate holder issued by NAHRO. I am also a retired online instructor with the University of Illinois Certified Public Manager Program. I found the course to be exceptionally well presented and relevant to my own learning goals. I don't think I've ever participated in an online training where there was such transfer of new knowledge.
For commissioners who have completed NAHRO’s Commissioners’ Fundamentals or for those looking for recertification opportunities, then you will want to register for NAHRO’s Commissioners’ Guide to Monitoring & Oversight. This seminar is intended to enhance an agency’s governing body’s members with a deeper understanding of their roles and responsibilities in assuring their agency’s viability and health. This program is appropriate for board chairs and other commissioners, and for executive leaders and staff members.
“As a member of an agency board, monitoring to assure the responsible administration of board-approved policies governing programs requires information from both business and social perspectives. This program will address the business elements relative to agency program operations. It provides a survey of typical housing and community development and redevelopment programs to meet community needs.
“The program offers a perspective on the importance of commissioners’ involvement in strategic planning, and the benefits of this activity in shaping the future of the agency in meeting the unique needs of their community.
“In addition, the financial viability of the agency overall is addressed and linked to operational and program requirements for continued viability
What is the Schedule?
Tuesday, December 1 from 1:30-4:30 ET
Wednesday, December 2 from 1:30-4:30 ET
Tuesday, December 8 from 1:30-4:30 ET
Wednesday, December 9 from 1:30-4:30 ET
NAHRO’s Commissioners Fundamentals
· By the completion of this course, you will
· Understand the value of identifying a Vision, having a Mission Statement, identifying agency Values, and following a Strategic Plan for their Agency.
· Understand requirement for planning such as HUD’s requirement for Annual and 5-year plans.
· Know the required policies of their agency and the commission’s role in approving such policies.
· Have knowledge of other policies and the benefits of having them.
· Understand the importance of relating performance monitoring to their mission, strategic plan and other agency objectives.
· Gain knowledge of how various programs are funded.
· Learn about strategic choices for repositioning their real estate assets.
· Gain knowledge of different types of budgets.
· Understand the commissioner’s role in approving budgets.
· Understanding the separate role of the executive director/CEO and the need for commissioners and executive directors to develop a mutually respectful and supportive relationship.
· Be able to identify policy, program, financial and other areas of business performance to be monitored by commissioners. In this regard Commissioners will gain an understanding of their situation and their agency:
o The typical kinds of monitoring (reports).
o How to interpret various financial and other performance reports.
o Understand areas of performance of they must monitor.
o Understand areas they would like to monitor.
o Understand that there is information they may not be permitted to receive.
o Be thoughtfully considering how deep into monitoring will satisfy their needs and wants.
Who should attend?
This course is recommended for new housing commissioners, as well as experience commissioners wanting to expand their knowledge or working to complete their NAHRO Commissioners Certification.